MINIONS!!!! The cupcakes are lemon flavoured (a Mary Berry recipe) and the yellow face is marzipan. I love marzipan, it’s so good. The other colours all fondant. The goggles were cut out to that shape using various bottle lids and piping nozzles. Took a little trial and error to get the right size.
I made these for a cake tapas evening, organised by Leeds uni sign language society. Here’s a picture of all the colourful cake contributions:
I’ve been learning British Sign Language for nearly a year now and definitely recommend learning sign language to everyone – you can speak in code to people when you get good.
I’d been wanting to do a minion related bake for a while, especially as everyone seems so Despicable Me crazy, so when the opportunity to do a cake tapas arose I felt like it was time! I was inspired by a quick google search which brought up many good ideas.
Well here’s the recipe for Mary Berry’s awesome lemon cupcakes which go great with the marzipan on top.
Ingredients for the cupcakes: (makes 12 large cupcakes)
- 185 g butter, softened
- 185 g self-raising flour
- 185 g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 large eggs (or weigh out, should be around 185g)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
1) Whisk all the ingredients together. Don’t overmix.
2) Divide amongt paper cupcases (about 12)
3) Bake for around 15mins at 180C until lightly golden brown.
4) Let cool in their cases and then start decorating! I used a little bit of buttercream to secure the marzipan and purple fondant (for the evil minions)
Thanks for having a gander!